Welcome to St. Martin's Episcopal Church

 

St. Martin's 50th Anniversary
Celebrating 50 years: 1952 - 2002
Sunday, September 8, 2002

Click here to see page 2 of pictures.
Click here to see page 3 of pictures.
Click here to see page 4 of pictures.
Click here to see page 5 of pictures.

St. Martin's Episcopal Church celebrated its 50th anniversary on Sunday, September 8, 2002. The congregation held a special service of celebration starting at 11:15 AM in the Church.

The Celebration began with prelude music at 11:00 AM. After the service, members and visitors were invited to take a History Walk in the Activity Center, where pictures, scrapbooks and memorabilia of the first fifty years were on display. An old-fashioned Ice Cream Social followed the service. St. Martin's also supplied box lunches to the over 900 members and guests.

"We are so excited about this day. It has been a long time coming since our humble beginning of just 125 who worshipped at the Bagby family home on September 1, 1952, " announced the Rev. Laurence A. Gipson, D.D., Rector.

The highlight of the service was the ceremony of dedication of The Bagby Parish Hall in honor of Mary Louise and Tom Bagby, the founding Rector of the church. Dr. Bagby retired in 1983 at the age of 72, after serving 31 years as Rector.

St. Martin's Education Building was renamed The Payne Education Center, in honor of the Rt. Rev. Claude E. Payne, Bishop of Texas, who served as Rector of St. Martin's from 1983-1993.

St. Martin's has grown from just 125 members in 1952 to over 7,000 currently, making it the largest Episcopal Church in the United States. For this reason, the Church is overseeing construction of a new Church, Parish Hall, Cloister and playground. Construction is expected to be completed by Easter Sunday, 2004.


At right, the Rt. Rev. Robert M. Moody, Bishop of Oklahoma, cuts the ribbon at a second entrance. Marie Louise Bagby Ferguson is pictured at the left of the picture.

 

Above, the Rev. Laurence A. Gipson, Rector of St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, and the Rt. Rev. Claude E. Payne, Bishop of Texas, cut the ribbon in front of one of the entrances to The Bagby Parish Hall.

© St. Martin's Episcopal Church
717 Sage Road | Houston, Texas 77056-2199 | (713) 621-3040 | (713) 622-5701 Fax